What to do in the last six months of medical residency?
If you are a third year resident then more than likely you have about six months left to complete the medical residency program. If you have not yet landed a physician job, then that is a priority. Quickly go through the articles on physician job hunting and get down to work. For those who are in the final stages of wrapping a physician employment contract or have already signed one, here is what you need to do.
1) Find out medical procedures which have better reimbursement from the insurance companies. Try to get credentialed in those so you won’t have to refer your patients to other places. It will also improve your employability. Don’t just focus on your specialty. Look into medical procedures of associated specialties. If you can master those, that will make you different and desirable candidate for a physician job. For example Dermatology procedures for Internal Medicine residents.
2) By now you know almost everything about your medical specialty. Try rotating in associated medical specialties to widen your experience. Once you leave the medical residency, consider that opportunity gone.
3) Start studying for the boards. Do not count on taking few months off post residency to prepare for the boards. Better do it now. Ask your colleagues about good books and review courses for medical board exam.
4) DO NOT FORGET TO REGISTER FOR THE BOARDS ASAP. Most Medical Board Exam Deadlines are looming around this time of the year.
5) Get all your credentialing data to your medical residency program. So they have enough time to process the information prior to graduation.
6) Identify areas of weakness and get an extra rotation to address them now.
7) Plan how you are going to pay back your medical loans.
8) Start reading books on personal finance so you would know how to handle the extra cash you will start earning post graduation. It is very important to understand savings, investments, stock market, bonds, retirement planning etc.
Hopefully now your six months will pass like a breeze!! Good Luck!